It has been over 20 years since a true national skateboarding contest — one that isn’t invite only — was held in the U.S.
World Skateboarding Grand Prix (WSGP) – the leading global skateboarding events management company — has partnered with leading independent skate shops across the nation. Eleven regional qualifying contests will be held in 11 cities this summer culminating in the first-ever U.S. Skateboarding Championships in Washington, D.C. Saturday, August 29. The total prize purse is $36,000 with $2,000 up for grabs at each regional qualifier.
1. Rhythm Skate Shop — Dallas, TX — June 20 WINNER: TAYLOR BRAY
2. PITCREW Skateboards — Frederick, MD — July 18
3. Hazard County Skate Park — McDonough, GA — July 18
4. Escapist Skate Shop — Kansa City, MO — July 19
5. Pharmacy Skate Shop– Los Angeles, CA — July 20
6. Pharmacy Skate Shop — Las Vegas, NV — July 20
7. Uprise Skateboards — Lake Bluff, IL — July 25
8. Shrunkenheads Skateboards — Sandy, OR — July 25
9. 3rd Lair Skatepark — Golden Valley, MN — July 26
10. KCDC Skate Shop — Brooklyn, NY — August 1
11. Skate Works Skate Shop — San Jose, CA — August 7
12. Washington D.C. — FINALS
The winner from each stop will earn themselves an automatic bid in the finals. The Finals at the nation’s capital will earn the chance to compete against the world’s best skaters, from over 50 countries, in the Skateboarding World Championships. This year’s world championships will be held at the Kimberley Diamond Cup in South Africa, Oct. 7-10.
Find a skate shop near you and be sure to come out. It is going to be an eventful summer and we are psyched to be a part of the madness. We’ll see you out there!